The Spirit of Optimism

"Cultivate an attitude of happiness. Cultivate a spirit of optimism. Walk with faith, rejoicing in the beauties of nature, in the goodness of those you love, in the testimony which you carry in your heart concerning things divine."



-Gordon B. Hinckley


Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Becoming self sufficient

Self Sufficient for my pets anyway...chickens and lizard.

This is my first cricket house.

1,000 baby crickets




The top of the cricket breeding cage - wire screening
I bought 1000 adult crickets to get the cycle started.



This is the breeding cage - I left about 20 female crickets in here for a week.  They are supposed to lay 10 eggs a day.  I watched them stick their depositor in the soil.  pretty cool to watch.  Once the week was up, I fed them to the chickens.  I will sait a week to 10 days and they will start to hatch.  Then I will get my next breeding cage started with another 20 females.

It is heated 24/7  - It has to be about 88 degrees for the cycle to work.

These are the meal worms.  The bottom of the cages have been cut out and wire screening put on.  The worms (actually just larvae) will turn into beetles and then lay eggs.  The eggs will hatch and the baby worms...beetles, will fall through the screen to the next level.
I bought 2 different sizes - a giant worm and a feeder size.  The chickens get the giant ones and the lizard gets the feeder size.

The worms are now turning into pupae.
worm on the left - pupae on the right
Lots of Pupae mixed in...can you tell the difference?


No comments:

Post a Comment